Wacky Planning Approvals

Planning for Home Owners

  • The Home Owners extension planning fee is currently £206 per application and the same price if you include both rear extension and loft extension on the same application. 2019 onwards  -the Planning Portal add a £25 admin fee to most applications.
  • Planning normally takes 8-9 weeks for Leeds City Council to deal with if it is done by a Planning Officer (delegated powers) without going to committee.
  • I normally adjust internal layouts, if needed, once planning is approved or if the planners request changes during the application. If necessary after approval I will ask for a “minor modification” planning approval if the fenestration or roof needs to change at your request, otherwise you do not need planning approval for internal arrangement changes.
  • I normally advise clients to wait until the planning is approved before commissioning the more detailed information required for building regulations.
  • I would however suggest that you use the time during the planning application to have a detailed kitchen design done and price up your favoured kitchen units and finishes etc…

Building Regulations for Home Owners

  • Building Regulations fees are normally split into 2 part a Plan fee of £180 (in Leeds) followed by an inspection fee of £400-£600
  • The building regulations usually takes 6 weeks at plan stage. It is during these 6 weeks that you are best to obtain your prices from builders.
  • I normally produce the building regulations and Schedule of Works at the same time as they are interlinked. Thus when the building regulations application is submitted the schedule of works and Building Regulations Application can be used to obtain prices from your builders.
  • Where structural calculations are required. I normally ask you to commission these from one of a couple of structural engineers directly. I bundle up what they need to do so that they can advise you what it will cost and then forward structural design to building control for approval. If the structural information is a bit slow coming through then I ask building control to issue a conditional approval.
  • Sometimes you can get the builder to include for the structural calculations as part of their tender. This can sometimes work out cheaper for the client.

Construction Design and Management Regulations

(CDM) for Home Owners

Let work safe as a home – owners have a responsibility to keep their project safe – but can pass this responsibility on to a Principal Designer and/or Builder.

“Domestic clientsIf you are having work done on your own home, or the home of a family member, and it is not in connection with a business, you will be a domestic client. The only responsibility a domestic client has under CDM 2015 is to appoint a principal designer and a principal contractor when there is more than one contractor. However, if you do not do this, (as is common practice) your duties as a domestic client are automatically transferred to the contractor or principal contractor. If you already have a relationship with your designer before the work starts, the designer can take on your duties, provided there is a written agreement between you and the designer to do so.”




Download CDM for Clients

Party Wall Agreements for Home Owners

 Download the Party Wall Act Booklet